>Environmental Resources Research Centre (ERRC)
An Autonomous R&D Centre for
Research and Sustainable
Natural Resource Management
The Environmental Resources Research Centre (ERRC) has been established in August 1991 – with Dr. P.K.K. Nair (1930-2017) as Founder Director and Dr. M.P. Nayar as President of the Governing Body (1932-2016) – as an autonomous R&D centre for sustainable natural resource management and education. Since its inception, ERRC has emerged as a centre of excellence in research, higher education and public interest services, as testified by the recognition and support accorded by the national and international organizations, like the Department of Science and Technology (DST); Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC); Council of Industrial and Scientific Research (CSIR); Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR); the Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India; and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); the Asian Development Bank (ADB); and the World Bank (WB). In addition, an array of public and private organizations has commissioned the centre for environmental impact assessment (EIA) and environment management (EM) studies. The credibility and excellence of the centre is further enhanced by its affiliation to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, for Doctoral research leading to Ph.D. degree in Environmental Science.
ERRC’s principal research direction relates to the generation of high value knowledge and the formulation of appropriate approaches and technologies for sustainable natural resources management. Relevant, clearly targeted research being essential for environment managers and policy makers, our research programmes are aimed at:
- Documentation and description of the diverse natural and introduced flora and fauna, with finest examples of the region’s representative ecosystems.
- Development of strategies for sustaining the quality of land and water resources against contamination and degradation.
- Establishment of land use systems that are scientifically, socially and environmentally sustainable and appropriate to primary production as well as conservation management.
- Enhancement and popularisation of traditional wisdom, technologies and heritage to initiate socio-econo-ecological sustainability.
- ERRC can assist planners and policy makers identify key resource issues, set priorities and develop strategies or solutions that comply with current legislation. The centre’s impartial scientific personnel can advise on land use options, conservation values, potential environmental impacts and risk management, indicators of environmental health, and environmental monitoring strategies.
Founder of ERRC
Dr. P.K.K. Nair (2013 – 2017)